I think it goes without saying that the behind the scenes look at The Last Jedi shown at D23 blew us all away. The locations, costumes, and especially the creatures stoked the flames of excitement in us fans. Let’s start by running down the things that really stood out to me. So, let’s do it by time stamp:
- We see an explosion of what seems to be red soil. I have to figure this is the planet Crait which was first shown in the teaser which premiered at Celebration Orlando. We can assume we’ll be seeing this planet up close and personal.
- Finn is wearing what appears to be a pilot’s uniform. Does this mean he takes on a combat role within the Resistance?
- Carrie Fisher. Nuff said.
- A moment so many have been waiting for. Luke is given his old lightsaber. It’s hard to read what he’s thinking in this moment, but after more than thirty years without it, I’m sure it brings a lot with it.
- Our first look of Kylo Ren in his new cape. He still has his mask at this point, but we saw it destroyed in the teaser and subsequent publicity photos show he is sporting a scared face. Perhaps he leaves it behind at some point in the film.
- What is this madness? I’d head rumors and possible spoilers about a new class of stormtrooper. These claw-like weapon wielding troopers looks like they might be it. Plus, I see what might be someone being held on their knees in front of them. Are they possibly executioners?
- Two brand new creatures. The first a vaguely horse-like animal. The second, a fox made out of crystals. I’m thinking pets of the rich folks on Canto Bight.
- Lupita Nyong’o. So it may be safe to assume that Maz Kanata makes a return in The Last Jedi.
- Luke shows he has a different wardrobe while on Ach-To.
- A combat scene with Captain Phasma and some stormtroopers. It’s good to know we’ll see her in action again.
- Our first live action look at “DJ”, portrayed by Benicio del Toro.
- Adam Driver training against two opponents. This could possibly show he has a battle against more than just one person at the same time.
- Daisy Ridley training against THREE opponents. Does Rey face off against the Knights of Ren? Someone else maybe?
- I can only assume these are the rumored Porgs, the native species to Ach-To. There has been a lot of spoiler info surrounding these creatures and their role in the movie.
- Finn and Rosa in a prison cell?
- Finn and Rose disguised as First Order officers.
- Two views of the Canto Bight casino.
- Rey with her lightsaber, sporting a cloak.
There is so much here to digest. Of course there’s more in the video than what is listed above. But let’s talk about what some the cast and crew say about the film.
Daisy Ridley: “Rian has written a story that’s unexpected, but right. Some of the stuff that happens, people are going to be like ‘oh my God’.” “Even though everyone knows it’s the second in the trilogy, it feels like it’s own thing.”
Mark Hamill: “Even though I think I know it all, they throw things at me story-wise I never could have imagined.”
John Boyega: “Everything is being shifted in an opposite way to what the audience expected after seven. Rian has made Star Wars fresh and new.”
Rian Johnson: “I’m hoping it’ll be a little shocking. But I’m hoping it’ll feel real and honest.”
Carrie Fisher: “It’s about family. And that’s what’s so powerful about it.”
Wow. I mean, wow. The take away here seems to be that this installment will go to some unexpected places but maintain it’s core values. I really want them to take the story, characters, and even the franchise to it’s limits. Not for the sake of taking risks, but to grow the saga we have come to love. The unexpected has merit, and I think those at the helm now have the talent to go there and do it right. This look at The Last Jedi has me burning to see this film. December won’t get here fast enough, and I’m sure you agree.